2012 Fall Conference
2012 Fall Conference Recap
At the 2012 IPA Fall Conference themed Building the Future Together
brought more than 350 of the industry’s leaders gathered to strengthen
their commitment to building a bright future for clients and advisors
through our collective work in Direct Investments.
The IPA Fall, 2012 Conference spanned many important topics that
directly affect the future that we seek to build. The ideas of
respected Beltway influencers like former Senator Christopher Dodd,
Karen Hughes and Joe Lockhart provide important building blocks to
build alongside the economic insights of Economist Stephen Fuller.
And with the boardroom insights of IPA sponsor and Broker Dealer CEOs
and the regulatory perspectives of SEC and FINRA executives, this
years attendees received a keen understanding of how IPA members are
working together to build a bright future for clients and the advisors
that serve them.
Conference Highlights included:
- Former Senator Christopher Dodd reminded us that the best way to collaborate and build consensus is to build relationships by simply spending time working together. This was a powerful reminder of our challenge to Build the Future Together.
- Our Congressional staffer panel demonstrated the ability of IPA members to directly influence policy and was a pertinent example of the opportunity our membership has with next May’s “Day on the Hill.”
- Both the sponsor and broker-dealer CEO panels brought clarity, insight and cooperation. Whether the need is for cooperation amongst competitors or between the many direct investment communities, their leadership demonstrated the willingness and persistence to do so.
- In a key regulatory address,Thomas M. Selman, Executive Vice President, Regulatory Policy, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), commended the IPA’s commitment to establish guidelines for the valuation of unlisted REIT and DPP securities.
- The Capitol Steps reminded us that sometimes laughter truly is the best medicine and provided a satirical view of the all too serious business of our nation’s capital.
- Karen Hughes and Joe Lockhart delighted us with tales of the presidency from its inner most circle. But Karen also tested our thinking and our ability to innovate when she shared her overriding communication mantra, “You have to define yourself or someone else will define you.”
- Trisha Miller, Senior Vice President and National Sales Manager, Carey Financial, LLC, was also presented with the inaugural Outstanding Service Award to for her work as Chair of the Education Committee
There are a number of immediate actions that you can take to begin building the future for our industry and defining it for ourselves. So whether you choose one item or several, your collaboration is a critical component of a bright future.
Thank you to everyone who attended this conference. We look forward to
seeing you all again at the Spring Industry Leaders Conference May 8 -
10, 2013 in Washington D.C.